Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4, 2008





Happy Independence Day!!! Today we were suppose to go the rocks for a fieldtrip with our history professor but it was raining really bad so we didn’t get to go. Instead we are going to do it during world youth week because our campus is going to be overrun with Pope and all of his people. So we went to the campus instead and watched Ned Kelley. But before we left for campus we had time to come upstairs and there was a building on fire! I could only see the smoke but it was crazy. Now I have already seen this movie and read a story about Ned Kelley and so needless to say by the end of the movie I fell asleep during the last half hour. Today was also the day we went to the symphony. It was a piece by Mahler and it was really good. We were sitting right behind the orchestra so it was really cool. The conductor was this jolly looking man and he was getting so into it. It was neat to see how he directs the orchestra because I could never understand who he actually wanted to play. And the Opera was really cool. The things they had set up for better sound were really cool. They are the circle looking things in the picture. After the symphony we went to a club called Retro because they were having a 4th of July party. We could get in for free if we showed our U.S. identification. It was really cool there because on one floor they had 90’s music and the next floor it was 80’s music and on the third floor is usually 70’s music but they were having a private party so we couldn’t go up there. But it was a really good time.

2 comments:

dougal said...

What a wonderful way for you to have spent the 4th of July, Jessica! So--who is this Ned Kelly?!

I am glad you got to go to the opera too. Nice pictures. I sighed when I saw the tympani--brings back some good memories from my high school orchestra days--also a bit of cringing, remembering that the tympani was all I could play since I could not play the oboe because of my braces and I could not make a sound with the french horn...

Be safe.

Christy said...

Falling asleep in class?? That's not a good way to make a good impression on your teacher. Did you read the novel by Peter Carey? (I vaguely remember talking to you about it).

Glad you had a good 4th! Miss you!

Christy