Monday, June 30, 2008

June 30, 2008

Today was the first day of class. We have our elective class, mine is kinesiology, on Monday and Tuesday for 4 hours and then our history of Australia class on Wednesday and Thursdays. It wasn’t too bad today but I really had no idea what she was talking about but I think it will be ok or at least I hope. We have a quiz tomorrow and our first test on Monday. YUCK!

We also had our first training session today. It was really good. It was just the soccer players from the group and we had a session with the guy who helped put us with our teams It wasn’t too bad because I thought I was going to struggle a lot more than I did. I know it was only drills but I thought for the most part I could keep up. Tomorrow we are going to meet with our team. We are playing with University of Sydney’s team. So hopefully it goes ok. Because I know that physically I always struggle but then when I actually play I think I can hold my own for the most part. I mean Lindsey Tarpley did shoot on me once so I think I can handle it (She is on the national soccer team for those that don’t know).

So just to talk about the things that are different here or things that I have noticed:

1) They say cheers instead of have a nice day. I try saying it also but I feel weird saying it.

2) Their outlets obviously look different but they have switches on them and I think it is really cool because you can turn it off so it doesn’t waste energy.

3) On the toilets they have two flush buttons- one for pee and one for poo. It apparently saves water but I think it is really funny. And the toilets are deeper so the water sits lower and it’s different.

4) I constantly look the wrong way when crossing the street when I am trying to walk and the sign doesn’t say I can. THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE.

That is all I have right now but there will probably be more.

2 comments:

dougal said...

Hi Goog!

For your fourth item listed, would stop, look and listen help you out?!

I love your blog, include more pictures...
Love you,
Mamasita

Christy said...

They say cheers in your other favorite city (London), so you should get used to it! By the way, I'm sure you'll do great with the University of Sydney team! It would be cool, though, if you did learn some cool Australian soccer technique (you know, something special that us Yankees don't do)!
Christy